Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Trying...

Christmas. I usually love Christmas. The presents, the lights, hot chocolate, Christmas trees, and the time spent with friends and family. But this year, this year, I don’t have much Christmas spirit. I guess a few things could be the root of it.

First, this is the first Christmas without B. in 4 years and despite all of the amazingly awful things he put me through (you have no idea), I kind of miss him. And I still haven’t been able to delete his phone number from my cell. I know it should be a relatively easy task. You know, scroll to it, hit options, then delete… easy right? Yeah, well. It’s amazing how much a number can fuck with a gal.

The other reason for my lack of Christmas merriment is this is the first Christmas with out my Dad. Christmas was my Fathers favorite holiday. He always made a HUGE deal about it. Big tree. Lots of lights. Also, he was Santa Clause. No really, he was Santa Clause. He worked at our local community hospital and for over 30 years, every year at Christmas he would dress up as Santa Clause and go visit the workers and the patents. And God, the stories he came back with; the terminally ill child who gave him probably their last Christmas present list or bringing a smile to an elderly patent who didn’t have much reason to smile that Christmas. Besides going around the hospital, people would ask him to come visit their kids, he also did lap duty at a local club, as well as the Christmas pageant at our church. My Dad had a big heart and a great love of Christmas that he loved to share with those around him.

As hard as this all has been, I am trying to make the best of it all. So, I have listened to Christmas music and even sang along! Deck the Halls with Boughs of Holly… Fa la la la la la la la la. I sent out Christmas cards. And, I even went on a cookie baking frenzy today. Mmmmm… cookies….

So, I am trying. Really. I am trying.

6 Comments:

At Tuesday, December 20, 2005 10:27:00 PM, Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

Oh, girl, I wish there were things I could say. But everything sounds trite. I think this is just a Bah Humbug year for a lot of us . . and you have more reasons than most. I just hope they get better for you!

 
At Wednesday, December 21, 2005 3:06:00 AM, Blogger Drunken Chud said...

like meghan said, anything said will be trite... but i don't mind being trite. even unoriginal at times. so, it can only get better. a very wise man (my old JROTC Sgt.) used to ask me: "is christmas going to come this year?". of course i always had to answer yes, cuz i knew it would, and he would say, "well, that's somethin'." i never could argue with that logic. and to this day i am forever indebted to him for my outlook on life. so, i hope things get better for you.

 
At Wednesday, December 21, 2005 10:45:00 AM, Blogger Rolligun said...

Every Christmas is different...I hope you are able to find something to enjoy.

And who knows, theres a few days to go...

If no miracles happen by then, well,that's what new years is for...drink up,ditch the wishes, and plan for the new year.

 
At Wednesday, December 21, 2005 6:09:00 PM, Blogger Drunken Chud said...

you are a wise sage rolli... wise indeed.

 
At Thursday, December 22, 2005 8:54:00 AM, Blogger Rolligun said...

thanks chud,
could you tie my shoes for me now.

 
At Thursday, December 22, 2005 10:37:00 PM, Blogger Heidi said...

Hey, wait. What about me?

I need a lap boy too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home