Sunday, February 27, 2005

Funk... and not the music

I’m in a funk. And I don’t know why. I graduated from college almost seven months ago and found a job rather quickly. My six month mark (and all the fun benefits that come with that… vacation time!!) with the Union is next Sunday. All in all I am fairly happy with the work. It has its rough moments, like 83 hour weeks and lack of time off, but it also has it perks, like changing peoples lives for the better (well, that’s the goal) and my co-workers for the most part are fantastic. The pay is also a plus, I never expected to make as much as I do with Women’s Studies and English degrees. Remember the other job I interviewed for only paid $19,000 a year.

My family has been great and the friends that matter are still in my life. I may not see them as much as I would like but that’s a fact of the real world. My love life leaves something to be desired, but that is something that usually remedies itself in time. I’m not too worried.

Still, something is missing. I think part of it is that I am REALLY not happy in Pennsylvania. In college, I never expected to stay in the state after graduation. To add insult to injury, I am in a part of the state that I HATE. I was happy in Pittsburgh but being up here is sucking the life out of me. The only thing that is keeping me going is the fact that eventually I will leave and go to another part of the state. But the fact remains that I am still in PA. I’m going to have to start looking at Grad schools soon if I want to go in Fall 2006 and I am not applying to any that are in PA. I want to go far, far away. I need that sense of starting over and starting fresh. I didn’t have that when I started this job. I still feel like I am in a bit of a transitional stage.

All in all I should be happy, despite my distain for PA, life is pretty good. So why aren’t I?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home