Tuesday, December 27, 2005

A New Year, A New Tattoo

One thing that I have decided to do come the New Year is get a new tattoo. I need something to close out the horrible year I had and start fresh and I figure another tattoo is the way to go. First off, this is my current tattoo. It’s on my lower back and I got it at the end of my freshman year in college.


I originally thought of just adding to this one, but it is rather large and I don’t know what to add.

I have some ideas for a second one but I am having trouble deciding what I want and where I want it. Here are some ideas.

Top of my list an ouroboros. And ouroboros is typically represented by a serpent eating its tail and is chock full of all the symbolism I am looking for in my new tattoo.


Here is an brief description from http://www.dragon.org/chris/ouroboros.html.


"The ouroboros has several meanings interwoven into it. Foremost is the symbolism of the serpent biting, devouring, eating its own tail. This symbolizes the cyclic Nature of the Universe: creation out of destruction, Life out of Death. The ouroboros eats its own tail to sustain its life, in an eternal cycle of renewal.In the above drawing (on the web page), from a book by an early Alchemist, Cleopatra, the black half symbolizes the Night, Earth, and the destructive force of nature, yin. the light half represents Day, Heaven, the generative, creative force, yang.Alchemically, the ouroboros is also used as a purifying glyph."

The only downside that I can find is that it was featured prominently in an episode of The X-Files (Scully got one). And no matter how much I love the show, I really don’t want to be one of “Those People.” Also it was the symbol of the TV show “Millennium.”

Other option are some goddess symbols. Here are two I am considering:

The first represents the Maiden, Mother, and the Crone with a waxing, full, and crescent moon. It would be a good balance to the sun on my lower back. (now I can't get the pics to load... grrr)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/76/Triple-Goddess-Waxing-Full-Waning-Symbol.png

The second is a typical goddess symbol (this is a necklace, but you get the idea).

http://www.mandarava.com/A1grph/ngph/n_graphics/nck031.JPG

Along these lines is the female symbol.

Now, I like all of these designs but they have a downside. They are a bit, ummm… butch. I have a degree in Women’s Studies. I really don’t need any more help with people thinking I am a lesbian. I can scare men enough with my big mouth.

Another option is a large colorful design on my ankle. Like something that would go a bit up my calf.

http://www.tattooartists.org/Gal2983_Lilly.asp

Or has anyone seen the Michelle K shoes magizine ad? If you have, I want something like that.

My last idea is a design of my initials, HNL, that a friend drew for me.

The places I am thinking of placeing my new body art are ankle, wrist, or between my shoulder blades.

And again, perhaps adding to my current tattoo.


So anyway, I am a bit stuck and could use some help. Any votes for these would be useful. Also, new ideas are also accepted. As well as any original drawings. Please help a sista out.

Oh yeah, I am also thinking of getting my nipple pierced…

6 Comments:

At Tuesday, December 27, 2005 5:51:00 PM, Blogger Drunken Chud said...

hrmm... you're right, they do seem a little... well... butch. but the ouroboros could be done well. really well. that would go grrrrreat! twixt the shoulder blades. and as far as nipple piercing, you have to do both or none at all. it just looks funky for a chick to have one pierced nipple. but hey, that's my two cents.

 
At Tuesday, December 27, 2005 9:12:00 PM, Blogger Chairborne Stranger said...

pierced nipples are hot. not sure what to tell you-about the skin art-i like it on women but maybe not these.

 
At Wednesday, December 28, 2005 4:50:00 AM, Blogger Rolligun said...

Those are all really good ideas for a tatoo. I like how you put so much thought, meaning, and personality into it. So many tatoos are just pulled off the wall without any attachments. That doesn't say much.

The piericing is cool idea too, I found find that interesting on a girl, but not dude. I had couple of friends who did that stupid shit, and I was sure to let them know how I felt about it. They told me shove it. I think they were just jealous of my neck.

 
At Wednesday, December 28, 2005 7:37:00 PM, Blogger Drunken Chud said...

cuz it's hot!

 
At Thursday, December 29, 2005 7:23:00 PM, Blogger Drunken Chud said...

lol. then wouldn't the answer to your question be the same as the answer to: "why do women wear shoes that hurt?" "why do women wear dresses they can barely breathe in?" "why do women let the fat guy be on top?"

 
At Monday, January 09, 2006 11:50:00 AM, Blogger Heidi said...

To answer Laurie's question: Because, it feels good when you play with it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home